20050103-shells

seligman at nevis.columbia.edu seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Mon Jan 3 07:02:03 EST 2005

Since about 1998, the only UNIX shell I've supported at Nevis has been
tcsh, for historical reasons.  There have been some users who would
have preferred to work in sh-style shells such as bash or zsh, but the
Nevis set-up scripts (e.g., "setup root") did not work in those
shells.

That has changed.  There are now sh-style versions of the formerly
csh-only scripts "setup" and "unsetup".  You can now switch to the
your favorite sh-style shell (via "bash -l", "zsh -l", or "ksh -l")
and have the setup and unsetup commands work for you.

All Linux systems have bash installed.  I've tried to install zsh and
ksh on all the systems on the cluster; if you need one of these shells
and I've omitted it on a given system, let me know and I'll install
it.

If you want to permanently change your login shell, use the "ypchsh"
command.

Please contact Bill Seligman for any comments or questions.