[Nevis-linux] Pine -> Alpine

William Seligman seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Wed Jan 2 19:34:56 EST 2008

To Nevis users who read their e-mail via pine:

I only recently found out that Pine is no longer being supported.  The group at the University of Washington has completely revised the program into a new one, called "Alpine":

<http://www.washington.edu/alpine/>

In a previous message, I discussed my plans for switching from Fedora Core 6 to Fedora 8:

<http://listserv.nevis.columbia.edu/pipermail/nevis-linux/2007/000103.html>

When I convert or install Fedora 8 or later on a box, I will _not_ install Pine; I will install Alpine instead.  As you might guess, you invoke the program by just typing

alpine

on the command line.  Basically, if you type "pine" and get "command not found", try typing "alpine".

Alpine uses the same configuration files as Pine does.  In particular, if you have a ~/.pinerc file, there is no need to edit it.  (The main difference is that the system-wide configuration file for Pine is /etc/pine.conf; for Alpine it's /usr/local/lib/pine.conf.  However, I will take care of this.)
PO Box 137                | http://www.nevis.columbia.edu/~seligman/
Irvington NY 10533 USA    | XDI: http://public.xdi.org/=william.seligman