[Nevis-linux] Brief network outages Wed 23-Jan-08 6PM

William Seligman seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Fri Jan 18 11:30:09 EST 2008

I'd like to upgrade the firmware on a few of the Nevis network switches.  When I
do so, the switch will reboot; this cuts network communications for about three
minutes, and will disconnect any ssh sessions across the switch.

I propose to do this on Wed 23-Jan-2008 starting at about 6PM.

The three switches I plan to upgrade are:

- the main Nevis network switch in the communications room in the research
building (which will interrupt mail);

- the two switches in the ground floor of the electronics building.

If this would interfere with your work, please let me know so I can reschedule.

Background:

The goals of the firmware upgrade are:

- Improve security on the switches.  Their IP addresses are on the Nevis public
network.  While the firewall blocks access to the web interfaces on these
systems and they're all password-protected, it's better to be safe than sorry.

- To prepare these switches for possible transitions as we improve the security
of our network management.  For more information, see:

<http://www.nevis.columbia.edu/linux/network.html>

PO Box 137                | http://www.nevis.columbia.edu/~seligman/
Irvington NY 10533 USA    | XDI: http://public.xdi.org/=william.seligman