[Nevis-linux] karthur upgrade - 3PM 21-Aug-08

William Seligman seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Wed Aug 6 20:38:15 EDT 2008

I'd like to upgrade karthur.nevis.columbia.edu, the ATLAS/D0 and library server,
  at 3PM Thursday 21-Aug-2008.

During this time, anyone with a home directory on karthur would not be able to
read their e-mail, nor login to the Nevis Linux cluster.

In addition, karthur is the main library server for the Nevis Linux cluster;
it's the main source of the /usr/nevis directory, where the ROOT and Geant4
libraries are kept.  When karthur goes down, the systems are supposed to switch
to the library backup on kolya.  In practice, when karthur has gone down in the
past, the entire Nevis Linux cluster has slowed down.  That's why I'm sending
out this message to all the users of the cluster.

If this schedule would be too disruptive of your work, please let me know and
I'll try to re-schedule.

(After this, the last major upgrade will be the web server.  I'll have to
postpone that for a while, since I'm waiting for some hardware to be "released"
that I can re-use as a web server replacement.)

PO Box 137                | http://www.nevis.columbia.edu/~seligman/
Irvington NY 10533 USA    | XDI: http://public.xdi.org/=william.seligman