[Nevis-linux] Nevis Annex systems administration - Tue Sep 23

William Seligman seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Mon Sep 15 13:22:35 EDT 2008

To the users of the Nevis Linux cluster systems in the Annex:

On Tuesday, 23-Sep-2008, I plan to make a trip to the Nevis Annex for some
overall systems administration.  Since I'm going to upgrade the Annex server and
every Linux cluster box in the Annex, the Linux cluster boxes will probably be
unusable on that day.  Windows machines, laptops, and other machines that are
not on the cluster will not be affected.

Details:

Here is my task list:

1) Upgrade the Nevis Annex server to Fedora 9.  Probably it will be moved to
another office.

2) Completely erase the drives on the following machines and install Fedora 9:

    merlin zhou nan yoog madison columbus broadway

It's not likely that you have any files on those machines, but if you do, please
copy them elsewhere and restore them after the upgrade.

3) Either salvage or discard the remaining Auger machines:

   bootes pegasus ... and their old mailing-list server

4) Try to figure out why the Annex color printer isn't working.

If you have any comments or additional requests, please let me know.

PO Box 137                | http://www.nevis.columbia.edu/~seligman/
Irvington NY 10533 USA    | XDI: http://public.xdi.org/=william.seligman