[Nevis-linux] Nevis Annex upgrade done

seligman at nevis.columbia.edu seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Tue Sep 23 19:40:56 EDT 2008

To the users of the Nevis Annex:

I managed to complete the upgrade to the systems in the Nevis Annex.  Here
are a few notes:

- All the Nevis cluster boxes are now running Fedora 9.

- There was a persistent problem (actually several problems) that
prevented non-root logins to the systems.  I think I've solved this, but I
did not test the solution on every box.  If you can't log in to one of the
systems, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

- There is a new "general" box available, pegasus.phys.columbia.edu; it's
in the first cubicle to the left as you walk into the Annex.  It's been
set up so anyone with a Nevis account can login to the box.

- Someone has taken the keyboard and mouse from madison.phys.columbia.edu.
 It only takes a USB keyboard and mouse, so replacements were not readily
available.  It made upgrades more difficult... and renders the box
effectively useless.  If you, or someone you know, took the keyboard and
mouse from the box, please return them.  The Neutrino group will
appreciate it.

-- Bill Seligman