[Nevis-linux] Moving mail files to the mail server

William Seligman seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Mon Dec 29 19:00:23 EST 2008

To the users of Nevis e-mail:

If you use POP3 to read your mail, you can ignore this message.  This only
affects IMAP users.

We've all seen it happen: A workgroup server goes down, and the mail server
becomes so slow that it's useless.  I've figured out exactly why this happens,
and I have a solution.  However, it requires that all the IMAP users at Nevis
store their mail files on the mail server instead of their home directories:

<http://www.nevis.columbia.edu/twiki/bin/view/Nevis/IMAPFileSwitch>

The above web page discusses the procedure that I ask you to do, why I ask you
to do it, and why I can't just do it for you.

As of now, I have not set a deadline for making the switch, mainly because many
people are away, and a new semester will start right after the holidays end.  If
you go through the procedure, please send me a quick note; this will give me
some idea of the rate of conversion so I can set an appropriate deadline.

PO Box 137                | http://www.nevis.columbia.edu/~seligman/
Irvington NY 10533 USA    | XDI: http://public.xdi.org/=william.seligman