[Nevis-linux] Potential network outage 6PM Fri 17-Aug

William Seligman seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Fri Aug 17 14:17:41 EDT 2012

I would like to replace the battery on an uninterruptible power supply in one of
the computer racks. I should be able to do this as a "live swap"; that is, I
pull out the bad battery and put in the good one, and the UPS will continue to
supply power as long as there isn't an outage during the swap. The swap itself
will take no more than five minutes.

However, there is a chance that the UPS will power down during the swap. This
particular UPS supplies power to an important switch in the computer room,
providing network access to the DOE login server, most of the Neutrino servers
and batch systems, and the ATLAS login servers. The network connectivity would
be restored about two minutes after I put in the new battery.

I propose to do this at 6PM EST today: Friday 17-Aug-2012. If this would
interfere with your work, please let me know and we'll reschedule.
PO Box 137                |
Irvington NY 10533 USA    | http://www.nevis.columbia.edu/~seligman/