[Nevis-linux] Recompiling software for SL6

William Seligman seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Wed Apr 16 14:14:01 EDT 2014

To anyone developing software on the Nevis Linux cluster:

It's become clear that there are incompatibilities between software compiled on
Scientific Linux 5 versus Scientific Linux 6. I tried to set up compilers and
environments to be upwardly compatible, but due to major differences in
glibc-headers and other packages, this has not eliminated all potential problems.

The Neutrino and VERITAS groups have had all their systems upgraded to SL6, and
the ATLAS group is upgrading their Tier3 cluster as I write this. The only group
with software-development systems still on SL5 is DOE, and they plan to upgrade
to SL6 in the future.

I'm therefore re-compiling the more recent software packages I maintain on the
Nevis library server for SL6:

- The GCC 4.7.2 compiler
- The GCC 4.5.2 compiler
- ROOT 5.34
- ROOT 5.32
- Geant 4.10.0
- Geant 4.9.6

... and perhaps other packages as well (such as CLHEP).

It will take at least a few hours, perhaps a couple of days, for all the
compilations to take place. I ask for your patience. I will send out another
message when the work is done.

After this is done, it's likely that the recompiled packages will no longer
function for SL5. However, if the DOE group is still running jobs on their
systems, they'll be using older versions of ROOT and Geant4 that I do not plan
to recompile.

If there are any problems after these software updates, please let me know.
--
William Seligman          | Phone: (914) 591-2823
Nevis Labs, Columbia Univ |