[Nevis-linux] Upgrades to notebook server 8-Aug-2018

William Seligman seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Mon Aug 6 13:58:43 EDT 2018

To the users of the Nevis Jupyter notebook server at
<https://notebook.nevis.columbia.edu/>:

I plan to make some changes to the ROOT and Python versions on the notebook
server starting at 4PM ET on Wed 08-Aug-2018. Notebooks may be unstable for the
following 2-3 hours, and I may have to restart Jupyter sessions or the entire
notebook server during that time.

Background:

The three weeks between the departure of the REU students and the return of the
faculty for the Fall semester is my usual time for system maintenance. I'd like
to upgrade the version of ROOT on the notebook server to 6.14 (from 6.12), which
includes new features like data frames:

<https://root.cern.ch/doc/v614/release-notes.html>

I'd also like to take the main Python distribution to 3.6 (from 3.4). The shift
to Python 3.6 on the notebook server is to bring it to the same version as the
one in the Nevis environment modules when you type "module load python/3":

https://twiki.nevis.columbia.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/EnvironmentModules

Please note: Python 2 will no longer be updated after January 1, 2020. Before
then, the Python software packages most often used in scientific computing will
drop their support for Python 2, including packages such as numpy, scipy, and
matplotlib:

<http://python3statement.org/>

I'm not going to remove Python 2 from the notebook server or the environment
modules (at least not until 2020), but I'm going to de-emphasize it and stop
keeping it up-to-date.

If you'd like to port your Python 2 code to Python 3 and test it on the notebook
server, this guide may be helpful:

<https://docs.python.org/3/howto/pyporting.html>
--
William Seligman          | Phone: (914) 591-2823
Nevis Labs, Columbia Univ |