[Nevis-linux] ROOT, Geant4, and CentOS 7

William Seligman seligman at nevis.columbia.edu
Mon Mar 2 11:57:01 EST 2020

If you do _not_ use the "module load" command to activate ROOT or Geant4 in your
environment, you can ignore the rest of this email.

I've made a few additions to the ROOT and Geant4 environment modules. Some of
them are in anticipation of a Nevis cluster-wide upgrade to CentOS 7. The dates
of the OS upgrade are still under discussion, but it will probably happen in
March and April.

Here are the changes:

- There are now CentOS 7-compatible versions of ROOT and Geant4 available on the
Linux cluster. They are:

geant4/4.10.5
root-06.08.06
root-06.16.00
root-06.18.04

The appropriate version compiled for a given operating system is loaded for each
of the above, whether you're using Scientific Linux 6 or CentOS 7. For example:

# module load root geant4

will now work and will load root/06.16.00 and geant4/4.10.5, no matter which
Linux version you're using.

- There are new versions of ROOT and Geant4 available on the Linux cluster, but
they only work on CentOS 7:

# module load root/06.20.00

The release notes are here: <https://root.cern/doc/v620/release-notes.html>

module load geant4/4.10.6

# The release notes are here:

<http://geant4-data.web.cern.ch/geant4-data/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotes4.10.6.html>

When you load these newest ROOT or Geant4 modules, you also automatically load
the latest versions of the GCC compiler suite and python:

gcc/9.2.0
python/3.8

- If you are using versions of ROOT or Geant4 that are not listed above, and
you're not in a position to update to a newer version, please get in touch with
me. I'll see if I can compile what you're using for CentOS 7.

- If you want to test things: at this moment, these are the user-accessible
systems that have CentOS 7 installed:

ATLAS:
kolya.nevis.columbia.edu
katya01.nevis.columbia.edu

Neutrino:
amsterdam.nevis.columbia.edu
hopper.nevis.columbia.edu

- Probably in the middle of May, I'm going to switch the default versions of
ROOT and Geant4 (the ones you get if you just type "module load root geant4") to
the latest versions, to give the summer students the latest and greatest.
--
William Seligman          | Phone: (914) 591-2823
Nevis Labs, Columbia Univ |